Agents:

Historical Analysis Team Report II

On Julie Berry's Lovely War:

This novel was so comfortably mesmerizing in its wording and the way the story is told. We get three romances in this tale: the sweet romance of a British soldier and his pianist sweetheart; American ragtime musician and the Belgium refugee; and our storyteller Aphrodite and her husband (all couples worth shipping). Seeing the story told by Aphrodite and the other Olympians was an interesting twist that often had me laughing out loud (but I always got unnerved when Hades came into the scene). The historical detail of it all was very impressive, and what I learned about the racism faced by the regiments of African Americans from their own countrymen was heartbreaking. War in general is heartbreaking and a terrible thing- but true love still survives and flourishes.



My main qualm is that the gods themselves are so blasphemous. The characters in the book pray to a higher God than they, but they keep taking all the responsibility for answered or seemingly unanswered prayer. I know it's a strange thing to be unnerved about, since these 'gods' do not exist, but if they did, they would definitely know of the Lord of lords even as other spiritual beings do- and tremble.

Other than that, though, I heartily recommend this story for anyone who wants to read about Olympians, World War I, or true love.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, and was not required to write a favorable review.


Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack