Agents:

Review of Marked by K.A. Gandy

On the run from the men who murdered her parents, there's only one way to save herself; marriage to a genetically-matched stranger.

Demy has been running since she was thirteen years old. Mysterious men in black cloaks have been chasing her, and so far she's evaded them. Something, though, has changed since she turned eighteen. Their attempts to capture her have gotten closer and closer, until she's only got one option left to survive: turning herself over to the NLC, for the compulsory marriage program.

She doesn't want to get married, but with her would-be captors on her heels, she's got no choice but to hope the NLC's strict security protocols will be a safe haven. Marriage is a small price to pay for her life, after all. And maybe, just maybe, she'll finally have the space to discover why she's being hunted.

★★★★★


Marked is a new entry point in the Populations Crumble world, but many familiar characters will be present from the original trilogy.

Pre-Order Now 

 


This was my first book by the author, and it hooked me into her world. Not only do I want to read the sequel when it comes out, but also go back and read the original trilogy set in this dystopian reality. 

The world set-up was my favorite part, I think. After a birth control product goes horribly wrong, humanity's ability to reproduce is decimated. The future rests on the shoulders of the few women who can still have children, hence the set-up of the story. Add in the heroine dealing with her own serious issues- like being stalked by her parents' killers, and the stakes are high. But the pacing is comfortable.

I liked the heroine and her relationships with the other girls. It was also fun to revisit the dystopian young adult love triangle dynamic from my teenage years. Our girl has three prospective matches she has to sort through. Right now, I think she favors one while I prefer the other, but we'll see how things go in the next book.Which you'll definitely need to read if you read this one since it ends in a cliffhanger.

If you like dystopian with lower violence and more romantic elements- or are, like me, nostalgic for your YA dystopian days- this book is for you!

Note to more sensitive readers: There is a little foul language sprinkled throughout, though I don't remember many instances. There is also a mention of a murder-suicide that happened in the past and isn't shown on-screen.

I received a copy of this novel from the author. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own. 

Add To-Read on Goodreads

Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack