Agents:

Excerpt of Fish out of Water

 

Then he moves to stand by Astrid’s bed before stooping down so that he’s eye-level with her. “Astrid, is there something we should know?”

She blinks at him with her big blue eyes, as though uncertain how to answer.

“I’m not here to judge you,” James adds in a soothing voice. “Only to protect. But I need to know how best to take care of you.”

Astrid glances between James and me, as if debating with herself.

“And don’t worry about his friends,” James adds. “I’ve already sent word to them that there is a family emergency, and have requested for them to return home. And Brandon only wants to help as well. But I can make him leave, too, if you like.”

I turn to James. “Hey, wait a moment-”

“It doesn’t matter,” Astrid says with a heavy sigh. “Even if I try to tell just you, I’ll end up fainting again.”

James takes Astrid’s hand and gives her a very concerned expression. “And why is that?”

“I’d pass out if I told you that, too.” Astrid lowers her gaze.

I blink. “What on earth? What would keep you from telling us? Is this some elaborate con?”

Astrid and James both turn to glare at me.

“I’m not saying it is,” I add quickly. “But what other explanations are there?”

“Curses,” James offers.

Read more on Wattpad 


Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack