Agents:

Excerpt of Intergalactic Witness Protection



Orion looks up at me with a half-smile. “I… knew… you’d come through… Because… I needed you.”
A warmth moves through my circuit to know that I have accomplished my mission.
Then movement captures my visual receptor, and I turn to see that the giant piece of roof that landed on the Venetian is beginning to move.
I turn my focus back to my crew. “You need to get up. I can’t move you, and she’s already stirring-”
Like my words have preyed up a miracle, Orion pulls himself, his arms moving upwards and bringing his torso after him.
Then he turns to where Killa and Nicholas have fallen, Nicholas protectively half-covering Killa with his body.
Further evidence that my captain was right in thinking there are feelings shared by them, and further reason for me to bring those feelings to surface.
Orion winces at the thought of the coming pain of not only moving, but also of dragging his crew on board.
The rubble above the Venetian shakes some more, and Orion crawls painfully toward Nicholas and Killa.
I’ll join you in a moment,” I say.
He looks up, startled. “The old med-bot?”
I nod, even though we both know how much I hate the form of the relic of a previous age. It isn’t easy to operate, either, because its circuits are so ancient.
All the same, I search the electronic pathways on the ship to find the dull hum of the half-dead medical bot hanging limp in the first-aid lab.
I lift one med-bod leg, causing it to creak wildly. When was the last time this was oiled? Nicholas would know, since it’s his duty to do regulatory upkeep with the technology.
Which means it has probably been a while.
If I were human, I’d be tempted to leave him here and just save Orion and Killa.
But I’m not human, and am quite determined, in fact, so I force the decaying body all the way to the front hull of the ship, where Orion is trying to drag Killa up the bridge while on his hands and knees himself.
It would be very easy to just lift the hull and blast off without the lazy good-for-nothing…
Behind Orion, rubble goes flying up, and the Venetian stands up, her hand reaching for her holster.
My calculations compute that if she stuns Orion, and it’s just me against her, she’ll take my crew all too easily after dismantling me.
So I need to reverse the algorithm.
Clunking over Nicholas’s unconscious form, I pound toward the Venetian and lunge forward. My clunky form hits into the Venetian’s much frailer body, and we go down hard. Thankfully, I’m metal, and feel no pain.


Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack