Agents:

Excerpt of Fish out of Water


 

I feel like I’m going to explode from the anticipation building in my chest as the ground beneath my bare feet goes from linoleum to concrete to grass to sand, and at last to water.

The anticipation is enough to wipe away all melancholy of farewell from my heart, or at least to bury it for now. It will resurrect to haunt me, reminding me of all I left behind.

But that will be for another day. Today, I think of my kingdom, my sisters, and even my own mermaid finds.

I keep walking into the water until it immerses me.

And the transformation begins.

It seems more violent this time around, but I take that as a good sign. Perhaps the reason why my newest limbs are weaving so painfully together is so they’ll never have to let go again. At least, not until I have done all I need to do with them.

But how can I go back to Brandon when I have a kingdom to run? That will remain even after I rescue my sisters. And how would I even get legs again without the curse?

No, it’s best to just cut that part of my life out of my future and place it squarely as a memory. Brandon will be a thought to consider late at night, when everyone else is safe in bed.

For now, though, I need to focus.

Plunging ever deeper into the water, I close my eyes as I reach out my senses for a current, any current.

And from there I will find the current that will take me home.

A smile plays at my lips as the water takes me ever deeper, ever closer to home.

Until another current begins to tug at my fin.

Panic grips me as I fight it to keep on the current before me. The one that will bring me to the appropriate time and place undersea, not the one trying to tug me to who knows when and where on land.

I’ve come across rogue currents before trying to entice me off my path. But as queen of the sea, I’m stronger than they are. My eyes see what even my sisters can’t, where each current leads.

And the one tugging me doesn’t lead to my sisters.

Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack