Agents:

Excerpt of Fish out of Water


So, um,” I begin, not sure why I’ve begun or how to end. “My name is Brendan.”
She studies me, her gaze thoughtful, as if she can figure me out if she can analyze my name, somehow.
Um, it means king,” I offer, standing a little straighter with my chest puffed out.
I mean my words to be a joke, but something flashes in her face before she nods, like I’ve passed some sort of test.
It’s driving me crazy, not knowing exactly what’s going on in that pretty little head of hers, so I awkwardly tap my mouth. “Um, if you don’t mind my asking, are you…?”
She taps her own full lips before opening her mouth, as if to say something. A strangled sound comes out that can in no way be interpreted as an English word.
But surprise flickers across her face at the sound of it, and something akin to hope gleams in her eyes.
Okay, then. I really can’t wait to get a pen and paper in this girl’s hands so I can find out what exactly is going on here. Why did I not take a sign language class?


Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack