Agents:

Excerpt of Intergalactic Witness Protection


The my favorite part of the night comes- when Orion’s exhaustion finally forces him into sleep.
Orion is in the large, blank space he has to imagine in order to calm himself to drift into deeper sleep, just staring out at the whiteness so different from the darkness of space- yet it’s still the same type of void.
Good evening, Alicia Ivy.”
I smile as I come up behind him. Orion has always been a perceptive dreamer, the only person able to discern my presence. And he doesn’t even have to look directly at me to sense me because here in his head, he’s all around.
When Orion dreams, he’s just like me.
Orion finally turns, his smile matching mine. He probably put his smile into my simulation. Another way we are bound together.
I’m not going to lie,” he adds, turning now to face me. “It’s been some kind of day.”
Which is why you should be dreaming right now,” I say. “That is the human mind’s way of dealing with the stress of the day and still getting rest.”
I can get rest just fine without them,” he counters.
Maybe, with the help of modern medicine that you take even when I don’t prescribe it.” I give him a look of chastisement. “And it sure doesn’t help you deal with the stress.”
Look, with the stress I deal with every day, I wouldn’t be able to sleep and deal with it at the same time.”
I raise my dream hologram eyebrow. “You don’t exactly deal with it when you’re awake either.”
He shrugs one shoulder. “I don’t have time. Maybe I’ll deal with it when I’m dead.”
The horror at the thought sends a shiver through my databanks. “No, you won’t.” I won’t let you die.”
You’re right. I want my ADS clone to have a fresh start.”
For a moment, I just stare at him. I never considered the possibility that my captain would have need of such a thing as an ADS sample. He would just be immortal, like me.
Then again, that is how the humans have immortality.
But would it be the same?



Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack