Agents:

Excerpt of Fish Out of Water


I mutely follow Brendan into his human abode.
Glancing around, I take in the strange pieces of furniture and the floor that looks shiny even though it is dry.
Even not recognizing what the strange objects around me, or their uses, I can see that they represent opulence. Brendan is rich as a prince.
If he were a merman, he would make an acceptable suitor. But he’s not. He’s only a means to an end.
You coming?”
Startling out of my thoughts, I follow the source of the voice and look up. Brendan is standing higher than me, but not on water. The humans have found a way to stand above others, by building a series of platforms built on top of each other.
He stares down at me and frowns. “Oh, are you still unsteady on your feet?”
I glance down at myself, and the place where my beautiful, graceful fins have been replaced these clumsy monstrosities.
While I’m still looking down, another pair of shoes appear in my line of vision, these ones clad into a tight covering of sorts.
Do you want some help?”
I lift my chin to face Brendan where he’s standing just inches from me, his gaze a question.
A question I don’t want to answer. Because the fact of the matter is, I don’t want help. But unless I can find an alternate way to break this curse, I will have to have his help- him, actually.
Brendan must see a different answer in my eyes, because suddenly, he’s bending down and putting his hand behind the knobby part of my legs and sweeping me off my feet.




Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack