Agents:

Day Two of Six in Countdown to Release


So it continues, agents, The six-part review session of Perry Kirkpatrick's The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbot and the countdown to the Saturday release of Tales from Parallel Worlds. If you haven't already, be sure to enter the raffle for a chance at winning either a signed copy of Red Rover, Red Rover or a Jes Drew swag bag with two designer pins, a sticker, and a coaster. Enter Here!

And back to the main events...


Review of Plan to Fail

The second book in the series picks up right where the first one left off, with Brett asking our heroine out on a date... that's actually an undercover mission. Which is one of my favorite spy tropes of all time.

(Level 3 Classification: If you've read any of my books, you know how much I really really love that trope. Half my characters are going through therapy right now at the mention of it, and Kristian and Susan just fled the room).

I love Brett's newest nickname for Emily as much as she hates it. And I love Emily's new cover (that Brett apologizes for her having to be awkward while using. She should be so lucky that klutziness is something she can just turn on and off!). Emily's cleverness, Brett's skillset, and their mutual banter continue to keep this series fresh and fun. 




(Level Seven Classification: Relationship Diagnosis):

One Friend Testing the Water:
In this book, Brett seems to be attracted to Emily, and trying to decide the best way to go about it without ruining their friendship and great teamwork. His nickname is a big part of that, but Emily in no uncertain terms makes it clear he'd be sentenced to the friend-zone if he made a move. The poor girl is so deep in survival mode with saving money that she can't think of anything fun beyond her accidental adventures.

 Now, to part two of this blog post-


The second story in this collection is called "Merchants of Britain." This is a whole new world that I plan on writing a couple series in, an alternate history where Britain controls all the world, and steampunk styles are in. It is also a "Merchant of Venice" reimagining. 


Miranda:
Lady Manette," my dedicated tutor gasps as he and I try to inhale what precious oxygen is left in the tower my father and lady mother has banished my alchemy classes. "I believe . . . it would be best . . . if we fled for our lives."
I take one glance at our quickly fizzing flasks before nodding. Then I demurely lift my skirts before fleeing as quickly as a lady can.
All my attempts at living out my finishing school classes are for not, though. No sooner have Tutor and I left the room, then the chemicals decompress into a loud boom with a force that sends the two of us very unmannerly against the wall. My skirts flail about me in a way that would simply scandalize the other girls from the finishing school.
I quickly reassemble myself and smooth down my skirts, pretending that little embarrassment never happened. "Do you think it worked?" Smoke bombs and disguise elixirs I can do, but this was my first attempt at something actually beneficial.
Not bothering to put his fallen monocle back to his eye, Tutor is already leafing through our potions book. “We had all the right ingredients, and we followed all the processes exactly . . .”
Blowing one of my many brown curls out of my face, I sigh. “Then why the explosion?”
Actually, it says here that it is supposed to happen.” He looks up with a bright expression. “We did it! Well, we’ll have to test it just to make sure but we did it!”
I jump up eagerly. “We can bring the peasants a cure for the plague!”


What do you think, agents? What is your favorite spy trope? And what is your favorite Shakespeare play? Comment below!


Comments

Archive

Show more

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack