Agents:

Excerpt of Fish out of Water




Putting extra effort in making efficient flaps of my tail, I reach the giant anemone that grows in the castle gardens- a growth Lian cultivated from the natural wall that grows around the castle. Despite his distaste of anything superficial, Father allowed this. He usually allows things for Lian.
Of course, now the anemone has become more of Calypso’s than Lian’s, since it has become a private meeting place for her and the cook’s son as they plan out their future adventures. Or, as she’s complained aloud when she thought no one was around, where she plans and he tries to talk her out of it.
She’s silly to complain, though. With Priscilla’s help studying the ancient scrolls, Calypso has a special privacy not allotted to the rest of us six sisters because she’s created a special ointment to allow her to pass through the anemone's tendrils unscathed.
I, on the other hand, am about to feel a whole lot of pain.
Making sure my tongue isn’t where I will accidentally bite it, I hold my hands up to cover my face so at least my face will be spared from the coming stings.
And, before I’m quite ready, but before I can think twice about it, I barrel into the anemone.
Pain tingles all over my body. One arm feels like it’s on fire, but the arm I can’t feel anymore scares me more.
Trying ignore the tears pricking my eyes, threatening to add more salt to the ocean, I lift myself up, the many tendrils of hair that escaped the updo I had put so much work into floating around me.
But when my vision comes back into focus, none of that is important or of any interest whatsoever.
Because my most tomboyish sister has her arms against the best friend she never seemed to realize was male, and his lips are on her face.


Comments

Archive

Show more

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack