Agents:

Excerpt of Fish Out of Water







“Why have you dragged me into this strange place,” I mutter to James as he and I sit to the side of the fitting rooms while a sales lady with a measuring tape carries a bundle of clothes toward Astrid.

“Because the young lady can’t live in your clothes forever,” he answers primly. “Especially with your rambunctious friends coming this weekend. I won’t open her up to their ridicule.”

I roll my eyes. “You make it sound like she’s going to be staying with us for a very long time.”

“One never knows.”

Astrid walks into one of the changing rooms and accidentally closes the door too loudly.

Spinning in my seat, I give James my full attention. “Seriously, man, what is going on here? You act like you know Astrid.”

“I don’t.” James stares straight ahead. “But, I once knew someone very like her.”

There’s a hint of melancholy in his voice that roots me in my chair. I didn’t know James could feel that kind of emotion.

Before this moment, I always assumed James was born an adult, and never made a mistake or had his heart broken in his life. But now I’m seeing something beyond the constant suits and the beige walls in his bedroom.

“Who was she?” I ask.

“I don’t know.” A dream-like glaze falls over Jame’s eyes. “Not things like her name or even where she was from, at least. But I did see a glimpse of her soul. She was kind in a way that is so rare among humans. It made her ethereal beauty even more unworldly.”



Comments

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack