Agents:

Excerpt of Fish Out of Water


The manservant frowns, though whether it is because he suspects Brendan’s disrespect or my threatening thoughts, I can’t tell.
Whatever is going through that man’s head, a moment later he has us all around a large table, with foreign fare on my plate.
I stare down at the plant life in a bowl. It looks so similar to the sea weeds we enjoy, but there is a larger variety.
Don’t worry,” Brendan says across from me. “We don’t poison our salads. Only the soups.”
Giving him the type of forced amused smile he deserves, I turn my attention back to my plate. And note with relief that the food has remained unmoved. That may be one benefit to not living in something as substantial and moving as water. The air the two-legged ones make their homes in makes me feel unnaturally fast to move through.
Though, between the new rate of speed and my new body parts, it is rather difficult to remain upright.
What about Elspeth, who bears the curse of added pain to her steps? How is she surviving right now? Has she already met her curse-breaker. Is he tolerable like mine, or hideous and cruel?




Comments

Archive

Show more

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack