Agents:

Excerpt of Intergaactic Witness Protection


One more question,” I say.
Both Killas study both mes curiously.
I glance at Nicholas. “This is private.”
He frowns at me. “This is my room.”
This is my ship,” I counter. “So unless you want me exposing your every thought on the monitors-”
Glaring at me, Nicholas reaches up to cover his ears.
The Killa in his room glances between us nervously. “What is this about?”
I just wanted to ask,” I say through both my mouthpieces, “one last question to add to your updated security profile.”
Both of them nod slowly. “Okay...”
How many nights have you spent alone with Captain Orion?”
As if they are in some kind of synchronization, both Killas step back as if I’ve slapped them.
Then the Killa in Nicholas’s room answers, “There was never anything untoward between the captain and myself. We have always been good comrades, siblings in uniform.”
That is not a clear answer to the question. It will be hard to program your profile with that.”
Nicholas’s Killa sighs. “The way the world would answer that question, zero. But the number of times I’ve helped Orion as a friend when we were an early team, you would have been the only one to number the nights.”
Meanwhile, the Killa on the other side looks at me once before demurely dropping her gaze. “Just once. And I don’t want to talk about it or have it as my profile question, so choose something else.” She lifts her gaze again, and there is a strange spark there.
I believe I catalogued that expression before. Ah, yes- the expression of a woman scorned.
And Orion never scorned Killa. He never had need to.


Comments

Archive

Show more

Betrayal and Banditry Soundtrack

The Samurai's Student Soundtrack

Embrace of Shadow Soundtrack